top of page

Sometimes New Beginnings Are A Blessing And Reminder to Not Lose Yourself (originally posted Sept 20

I have written my workouts down in my planner. It won’t always be the same, but I will make sure I check off each of these items (push-ups, sit ups, squats, 1-mile) every day. I will switch up the other exercises to keep my body guessing. It is time I get serious about this or I will just keep putting it off. Right now you would never guess I used to be a gym rat.

One year ago I was about five months pregnant. My goal when I first found out was to make sure I stayed in shape, even if it was doing a basic yoga consistently. This ended quite early in the pregnancy as I had some issues with some pretty scary, ER worthy, hemorrhages. Needless to say, I was just too scared to work out after that.

I did pretty well, eating only fruits, veggies, and protein…mostly. I over-indulged in sugar I’m sure. I did pass the glucose test, though! Looking back, I can honestly say I ate much better while I was pregnant than I did before pregnancy. The only difference, I wasn’t working out during pregnancy.

Around the sixth month I completely blew up. My feet ran right into my leg, no ankle present. I couldn’t get around very well, and I kept getting these moments of light-headedness. This couldn’t be normal. At this point I had already been sent to the hospital once to listen to the baby for three hours because I thought he wasn’t moving as much.

The peak of the pain was while I was staying two hours away from home for work. To say the ride back was uncomfortable is an understatement. I had anxiety the entire way back because my feet kept going numb from not being elevated. They were so large it was tough to rotate them. When I was about 10 minutes away I decided to stop by a CVS to walk around because I just couldn’t handle it anymore. I decided to check my blood pressure. I don’t remember the exact number but it was around 155/105=not good! I went to my doctor’s appointment the next morning and they sent me immediately to the hospital. Jared and I left 9 days later. We took Carraway home about 21 days later.

After a few days of monitoring and lots of Harry Potter, they made the decision to deliver via C-Section due to Preeclampsia. He would be six weeks early. I was terrified but also ready to get this baby out of a body that could harm him. He was born 3 lbs 10 oz. I didn’t even get to see him until Day 2 because of the lasting preeclampsia symptoms.

I could keep going on and on with my story but I will get back to the point. I had a rough time. I gained approximately 50lbs during my pregnancy, I lost about 30 lbs in a couple weeks after my symptoms subsided and the water finally fell off. But, I was still left with a good bit of baby weight.

And I can’t shake it.

I’m close, though! But, I have to stay determined and disciplined. I think I have finally beaten the sugar cravings, but making the time to consistently work out has been tough. Maybe chronicling it will make it easier!


bottom of page